Sunday, March 31, 2013

Thoughts on Leaving Teddy. .. .

With Easter weekend, came our first overnight away from Teddy.



Teddy, at his "one week" Adoptiversary


He still had my husband here, and a good family friend who came and took him for 2 walks, but it wasn't the "whole family" handling him all day like he's already grown accustomed to.

I have discovered our dear pooch has some separation anxiety issues.  Today, every time we were out of sight, he barked and barked and barked.  Normally Teddy is a fairly quiet dog, so this surprised me. 

He kept STARING at me, panting heavily, like he was scared we were going to leave him again. 

We made it through the afternoon and evening, with him finally passing out next to Dboy.

Hoping tomorrow, we can help our precious pooch see that we're in this for the long haul.

There is a reason we chose to wait as long as we did before bringing a canine into our family - we KNEW a dog would take time, patience, and training and love - a LOT like a child.

And, the same way I view my children - they are a responsibility I CHOSE to create and have, and they are not a distraction in my life - a "toss-aside" while I do all the stuff I "want" to do - my kids and our new pooch are choices we have made in life, and precious family members.

Teddy will be getting lots of love and lots of training.  And, obviously lots of reassurance that he's not going to be "ditched".


No comments:

Post a Comment