Friday, April 5, 2013

Not directly related to Shelters, pets, and animals, but. .. ..

I have been pondering some things - and I'm just going to be copying a FB post I made today.  Well, two posts. 

Mostly because I feel this is extremely important for people to realize.  Humans seems to really enjoy just putting each other down.

I am beginning to understand more and more why some people just adore their pets so much.  I have always been an animal lover.  Recently, as my kids are getting older, I am seeing the effects of society on their self-images.

We home educate our kids (well, until recently - my 12 year old began private school a few weeks back).  But, I have educated my kids at home for 8 years now.  Even with that "protection" from bullying and people picking on them, they can still pick up on how they are "different".  I have a daughter who is tall and slender.  And, while most of us who are NOT so blessed to be naturally "tall" or "slender" might figure they have NO self-image problems, that is exactly the opposite.  Then, they are just called different names.  The following two posts came after a good talk I had with my daughter, who JUST turned 10.  She was concerned that maybe she was TOO skinny.  My heart ached, because, when I was ten, I'm sure I was longing to just BE skinny.

So, my thoughts for today:

Y'know what kinda baffles me in our day and age. . .. . I really feel for the truly slender girls. My daughter is VERY tall, and appears to be blessed with daddy's gene-pool (tall/slender).

It is EXTREMELY disheartening to me to hear her ask me if there is something wrong with her, because she IS so skinny. Already. She is age 10.

Please, friends, be kind with your words to my daughter, and other slender young girls. She is NOT starving herself. She eats plenty (believe me - she can pack on the food - impressive).

NO ONE in our society would feel it acceptable to walk up to a larger child and say, "So, kiddo, packed on a few pounds, I see." But, I hear so many comments about "Toothpicks" and "do you ever eat?" and, "maybe you need another burger"

I have NEVER experienced what it's like to be that slender. But, believe me, my momma hackles are raised when I hear my baby-doll ask me if she is TOO skinny.

I told her - some girls are bigger, and she's been blessed with the ability, at this point, to basically eat LOTS and LOTS of food and maintain her slender figure. I told her that I have always struggled the other way - with having to watch everything I eat, and forcing myself to get off my lazy butt and move, in order to keep from becoming huge.

Just sayin' - PLEASE, everyone, be kind in how you talk to parents, and the comments you make to other kids - girls/guys- whatever. Just cuz they're skinny / slender, does NOT mean their own self-image is not affected.

There are NO "perfect" bodies out there. WE're all created in ways that need improvement here and there, and are wonderful.

Just cuz my girl is very slender, does not mean she does not feel bad when people call her a skinny minny, toothpick, bones, etc.

Rant.

Done.

Thank you for listening.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment